Just another day at the office..
WAYS TO MAKE THE MAJOR BLUSH
- Things that rhyme with quickening.
- Thickening. Dickening.
- Thickening dickening.
- ‘Hey, Major. Care to make a big, juicy steak sandwich with your meat and my buns?’
- The word integrity, soft and hot, right against the shell of his ear.
- Remembering the little things. Anniversaries. Favorite colors. The good memories of hammocks and backyards and childhood trips to the zoo. Secrets whispered in the warm night or the lazy, vulnerable morning.
- Reminding him that the sound of his voice tears through you like incendiary fire.
- Playing the theme song to his favorite space opera serial instead of the usual music in the captain’s cabin.
- Singing the theme song to his favorite space opera serial.
- With poses.
- …And costumes.
- Hey, being in charge of acquisitions has its perks—sudden ownership of replica uniforms being on eof them.
- Touching the back of his neck at the nape, where the pain tapers to a central point, the ridge of a vertebrae, all the tension…
- Well, all the tension thickening.
- Wearing that sweater his mother made you.
- Wearing that ring he gave you.
- Googly eyes.
- Sleepy sighs.
- That time you tell him he was right not to trust you on Horizon. Because you could’ve been anyone.
- That time you tell him ‘But it’s me, now.’
- And he knows the way you know—with a shiver of sadness that tastes like relief—that he’s why you’re so certain.